Bama Road,
P.M.B 1069, Maiduguri,
Borno State,
Join Us on       
Follow Us via   

  Brief History of the University of Maiduguri

The Educational programmes outline by the Third National Development Plan stressed the establishment of more Universities in the Country. Consequently, the Federal Government of Nigeria established the University of Maiduguri in 1975, along with six others situated at Kano, Ilorin, Sokoto, Jos, Port-Harcourt and Calabar. University of Maiduguri is situated in the outskirts of Maiduguri along Bama Road. The University of Maiduguri took off in April in 1976 by inheriting the facilities of the North-east College of Arts and Sciences (NECAS) when the College was taken over by the Federal Government. The NorthEast college of Arts and Science was established as a post-secondary institution for preparing candidates with secondary education for entry into Degree programmes in Nigerian University after two years of Advance (A) Level work. The college took off in 1976 with Late Alhaji Hamidu Alkali as its first principal. The facilities such as laboratories, lecture theatres, library, office blocks, staff and other supporting services taken over from the NECAS formed the nucleus of the University and made it possible for it to commence degree programmes for the first academic session in three faculties, namely Arts and Education, Social Sciences and Law, and Sciences on 28th, October the same year.